Many of you are probably familiar with the project I have been working on lately called Easy Digital Downloads, even if you have only heard the name. Anyhow, I’m very pleased to announce that, after quite a few rounds of beta testing and lots of great feedback, the plugin is live and ready for use. It can be download for free from the WordPress plugin repository, and installed with the one-click installer that comes with WordPress and everyone loves so much.
This project has been many months in development and has been the on-going reason for me telling my wife “just 10 more minutes”, but it’s finally here and I think you will really like it.
In case you have missed the numerous posts I have made about the plugin, here’s a quick description:
Selling digital downloads is something that not a single one of the large WordPress ecommerce plugins has ever gotten really right. This plugin aims to fix that. Instead of focusing on providing every single feature under the sun, Easy Digital Downloads trys to provide only the ones that you really need. It aims to make selling digital downloads through WordPress easy, and complete.
Features of the plugin include:
- Cart system for purchasing multiple downloads at once
- Complete promotional code system
- Many payment gateways. PayPal and Manual are included by default with Stripe, PayPal Pro, PayPal Express, and others available as add-ons
- Complete payment history
- User purchase history and ability to redownload files
- Multiple files per downloadable product
- Customizable purchase receipts
- Earnings and sales charts
- Details purchase and file download logs
- Extensible with many add-ons
- Developer friendly with dozens of actions and filters
One of the things I feel makes Easy Digital Downloads great is how extensible it is. At the time of writing this, there are already seven add-on extensions available for the plugin.
Have you given Easy Digital Downloads a trial run? Do you plan to use it now or in the future? Do you have any other thoughts about the plugin? Let me know!