This entry is part 3 of 8 in the Displaying Content with Easy Content Types Series
- Listing Custom Post Type Entries with a Short Code
- Automatically Displaying Meta Field Values in Easy Content Types
- Using the Automatic Template Creation System in Easy Content Types
- Displaying Custom Post Types in Widgetized Sidebars
- Controlling Page Layouts with Custom Meta Fields
- Querying Custom Post Types in Your Theme Templates
- Creating a Simple Events System with Easy Content Types
- Adding a Simple Image Gallery with the Repeatable Upload Field
WordPress themes are based entirely on templates. These templates provide a way to customize the layout of your content on different pages and give you total control over how your website functions. Easy Content Types includes a very powerful function that will automatically create new template files for your custom post types and taxonomies based off of those already in existence in your theme. This is an explanation of how to leverage the power this feature provides.
The automatic template creation system makes it much easier for you to customize the way your custom post types / taxonomies are displayed. By each of them having their own template, you can easily change the layout for your “Books” custom post type, while leaving the default posts unchanged.