- Introduction to WordPress Plugin Development 101
- Plugin Development 101 – What Makes a Plugin?
- Plugin Development 101 – General Best Practices
- Plugin Development 101 – An Intro to Filters
- Plugin Development 101 – Registering a Custom Post Type
- Plugin Development 101 – Intro to Short Codes
- Plugin Development 101 – Intro to Loading Scripts and Styles
- Plugin Development 101 – Introduction to Adding Dashboard Menus
This part of the series is the first one where we look at creating a complete sample plugin. It’s a very simple plugin, but a complete plugin nonetheless. For this plugin we are registering a new customer post type called “Books”. Registering custom post types is something that we do a lot in plugin development, so having an understanding of how it works is very important.
More importantly that understanding how custom post types are created, however, is understanding the process of “hooking” your plugin’s functions into WordPress, and that’s really what this tutorial helps to illustrate.
The complete code written in the tutorial is below: