- Listing Custom Post Type Entries with a Short Code
- Automatically Displaying Meta Field Values in Easy Content Types
- Using the Automatic Template Creation System in Easy Content Types
- Displaying Custom Post Types in Widgetized Sidebars
- Controlling Page Layouts with Custom Meta Fields
- Querying Custom Post Types in Your Theme Templates
- Creating a Simple Events System with Easy Content Types
- Adding a Simple Image Gallery with the Repeatable Upload Field
This tutorial demonstrates how to display a list of recent custom post type entries in any widgetized sidebar in less than 5 minutes. The widget is provided by my plugin called Better Recent Posts Widget Pro, and it is exceptionally powerful, yet very easy to use. The widget will allow us to list entries from any custom post type, and also give us the option of restricting the entries displayed to those filed in a specific custom taxonomy term.
In the video above, I demonstrate how I have used Easy Content Types to create a custom post type called “Books”, and a custom taxonomy called “Genres”. Each of my books is then filed into a specific genre. Using the Better Recent Posts Pro widget, I am then able to display recent Book entries in any widgetized sidebar, in less than 5 minutes.
Even though I have created my custom post types with Easy Content Types, you could use the same widget to display entries from any custom post type, even though registered manually, or with another plugin.